Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Reading List

I have placed a book list on the side of the page. I have said for years that I want to read more and my new job is affording me the opportunity. Every evening on my bus ride home I get about 30 minutes of reading time in. This has helped me get through a few books. I tend to like the lighter reads and have never been into murder mysteries or science fiction. I am more of an US Weekly kind of girl. I have been a faithful reader of US Weekly for a while now, but it does not take the place of a good book.

I picked up Marley and Me for the pup. Having a chocolate lab I could not resist a book about owning a lab. The book was laugh out loud funny at points, but may only have been since I could relate so closely with the experiences I have had with my lab. The theme is the most obedient disobedient dog. It fits perfectly. A great dog lover’s book.

The next book I picked up was given to me by my sister – Four Blonds which was written by one of the writers from Sex and The City. It started out pretty good, but was more of a fizzle. She had not read it yet, so I told her it was not necessary to place on the top of her list.

I am now reading another light read, Everyone Worth Knowing, which is written by the author of the Devil Wears Prada. So far so good. I just started reading it, but it is about a girl who works in NYC for a major financial firm…Hmm sound familiar? That is why I picked it up. The difference is she leaves for a PR job and then (I am guessing because I have not read this far) her social life and private life merge into a mess.

Finally, Living the Seven Habits I purchased over the weekend. It looks like a good read, but I have not started it yet. It is based on the best seller, The Seven Habits of highly effective people, and the Eighth Habit. I have not read either of the others, but it does not appear that it makes a difference. We will see. The book is full of motivational short stories about how people changed their lives to be more effective.

2 comments:

KBG said...

TW - I read Water for Elephants recently and I liked it. It was a pretty quick book to get through. Just a suggestion.

MSB said...

Try anything by Marian Keyes... she is good for funny light reads... her short essays are especially good.