Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I am thankful!

What are you thankful for this holiday? Other than the obvious – family, friends, and health, I am thankful for: The husband walking the dogs in the morning before work! What a rude awakening this morning – 2 pups jumping around me as I try to hit snooze and then crawling out of bed to go out into the brisk 30 degree air. I am very thankful that the morning walk is not part of my regular routine. This leads me to my next thought. I am super thankful for a warm home filled with pillows and blankets to snuggle under after coming in from the brisk air.

Whenever I see a homeless person (which unfortunately is quite often) I wish I had my closet handy, because I would certainly be able to walk in there and find a sweater or sweatshirt that I could spare. It is getting colder and the homeless remain homeless. The other night when I was leaving work late I saw a man across the street bundled up lying down asleep on a cardboard box to protect him from the cement. I thought that was a good idea to help keep warm, but then I also thought of how lucky I was taking a car service home. They say if you can make it here you can make it anywhere, but the truth is a lot of people can’t make it here. I am thankful I am making it.

With that very thought in mind we decided to donate to the local food pantries through online virtual kitchens. It was neat because you could select the actual meal you wanted to donate and it was like shopping at Sam’s club. For instance, if I selected gravy I got a case of gravy. Hopefully, as a result a few more people will find their bellies full tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

No comments: