Friday, November 17, 2006

My daily commute

If your anything like me you have not ridden a bus daily to and from a school or work since at least high school. For me it was junior high, but now daily I go to the bus stop and wait – rain or shine for the bus. I say I like my commute because each day is an adventure. It starts with the bus and a mile walk and ends in the reverse order.

During the commute I encounter the most interesting things. I love seeing the man with the boom box walking down the street. That is always a pleasure regardless of what is booming out of the box! My favorite boom box incident was the man with the boom box tied to his bicycle. I thought that was super creative.

When it rains I feel like I am playing a video game – dodging umbrellas. It is a dangerous sport. People whip around with those pointy spikes like nothing. It is almost impossible to pass slow walkers with umbrellas. You are so much wider with an umbrella. I think large golf umbrellas should be banned in the city. They take up the entire sidewalk. It makes the sidewalk an instant no passing zone.

When I first started commuting I had a real problem. Mary Poppins is opening on broadway and every day I passed the signs that read: Chim-Chim-er-ee Chim-chim-er-ee and just a spoonful of sugar…you can imagine how catchy that is- you are probably cursing me right now. So daily I would walk singing. In the morning it was just a spoonful of sugar and on the way home it was chim-chim-er-ee. It was painful. I now walk a different route.

There was the day when the lady brought her cat into time square to have an artist draw it. The cat was sitting on her lap petrified and she was covered in fur. Meanwhile, the man sat drawing the cat perfectly.

The stories are endless. I invite any one of you to commute with me one day and observe your surroundings. You are sure to get a laugh…

3 comments:

jill said...

this reminds me of when I used to commute to Columbia via MetroNorth, then a mile and a half walk through Harlem...you can just imagine the people watching potential I had on those days!! Never lacking for cocktail party conversation starters!!

MSB said...

I would LOVE to come and commute with you... before the husband and kids my big dream was to get my Doctorate at Columbia... oh well...

Anyway, I am so glad you started this blog. The house is gorgeous! And, the picture of the two of you is great.

Miss you tons.

Childress Family said...

I like your narrative of the sights you see on your commute. I had a weird experience nursing Anna in public on a bench in the middle of Chinatown. They all stared. I wonder if I ended up on someone's blog that day!