Monday, January 29, 2007

Eskimos in NYC!

Last Friday evening as I walked as fast as my legs would go I was thinking I must look like an Eskimo. I had on boots, a big bulky down coat and a giant furry hood attached. I also had a hat on underneath that and mittens. So, I am walking, freezing, and thinking, there is an Eskimo in NYC. Then, I look up out of the peep hole I created for my eyes and see that I am not the only Eskimo, but instead my jacket was very popular. Big sleeping bag looking coats with furry hoods and people power walking everywhere! Hence the title of this post.
The weekend seemed to warm up. We had nice 30 something degree days. It is funny how fast your idea of nice changes once you have felt -10 below. Yesterday was even somewhat sunny- until evening- when the snow came. We did not get much, but the snow brought with it my new least favorite term, "arctic air."
This morning I bundled up once again in my Eskimo jacket and headed out to the bus stop. This morning was especially cold since the snow that was on the ground was blowing into my face as i stood waiting. Time Square I have determined is the coldest part of NYC. It is a wind tunnel that even on the calmest days has a breeze. I knew going into it today that it would not be pretty and I must walk fast. So many times I have thought about running to work, but the idea of the suit and bag always make me feel too foolish. I see people run from time to time and I always giggle. Power walking is much more stylish.
So, I made it to the office and am not eager, for once in my life, to go home. I am actually considering buying tights across the street before my walk home. The pants I am wearing today just do not cut it.

And a quick update about fitness- two things. One is Ii had a successful first week at the gym, four visits. Note two, not so good- took my measurements for tracking purposes last night and it really put things in perspective. Maybe I need to go to the gym five times a week...The reality of size really is a motivator. Wish me luck-

Everything else in our lives- sort of boring.

Have a great day everyone!

3 comments:

MSB said...

I am going to continue imaging you looking like your birthday card! My glamorous big city friend!

Anonymous said...

Keep warm TW! I can understand the whole Eskimo idea. I might need to try that look soon as I am freezing in the great white north. I guess it is a mental challenge as well to see the temperature in
Celsius. Especially when the temperature is -26 or lower! It just seems unnatural to be outside at all when it is that cold!

Anonymous said...

I know it's got to be cold for you guys when we had a 22 temp and snow flurries last night in FL!