Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Funny house funny people

So MW had his dates confused and the Brazilian BBQ is tonight not last night. So, we ended up making our gingerbread house. Unfortunately, I can’t for the life of me figure out what I did with my camera. That may not be such a bad thing since our house is experiencing roofing issues and by now the interior is most likely flooded with icing. We knew we had a sliding roof last night, but this morning when we woke up we realized we had a huge skylight in the house. Other than that the decorations are fun and we had a great time making a mess. We laughed that the house did not come out better since we are not children decorating a gingerbread house. We obviously need some practice. As soon as I find my camera I will send a photo of the house with a roof slide.

I have not reported recently on the interesting people on the street. I saw a great one two nights ago that I wish I could have photographed. Use your imagination with this one. I saw a guy riding a small BMX kind of bike wrapped in tape. He was riding with a backpack on- not that exciting, but wait! You know when you buy something fragile how it comes with Styrofoam to protect it? Imagine you just purchased a new monitor for your computer. It has a square piece of Styrofoam attached to the front of it to protect the screen from breaking. Now imagine that same piece of Styrofoam placed over someone’s face framing it in and secured with rubber bands around the head. There was a perfect cut out around the face. I literally laughed out loud. What an interesting alternative to a helmet.

My other interesting man is the security guy downstairs who stands by the turn styles as everyone leaves the building. I see him almost every night, but it was not until recently that I realized he is very quietly, nearly whispering to each person who walks by, “goodnight.” Once I realized this I started to say goodnight back, and he always replies with a quiet, “thank you.” It is so funny in a sweet kind of way. I wonder how many people realize that he is whispering good night to them as they walk out. Even more interesting is that he is thankful when someone says goodnight back as if finally someone is paying attention.

The city is filled with interesting people…

I did not like the guy who was playing chicken with his bike as he flew past me trying to cross the street yelling “wake up ahhahahaha” That was frightening. I also did not like the guy who last night was screaming and cursing into his cell phone and flailing around last night. That is a little much to be entertaining.

I am sure I will encounter new people to report soon.

3 comments:

KBG said...

Living in (or working in as you are) a big city is always full of interesting tales. I've seen so many things here - some of them too gross to talk about. Most of them just make me chuckle. I'm going to put up a pic of a woman walking her dog that I saw - so funny. Glad it's not just me.

Anonymous said...

I just read your blogs for the past 2 weeks. I had forgotten about it.
Really very interesting and funny.
I am now your newest fan. Have you ever thought of writing professionally?
Looking forward to more pictures and reflections.
How was your dinner out?
We went to a restaurant like that in Nashville and one in Charlotte.
Very good, but we ate too much.

TW said...

I am glad to hear I have new readers! I just found out JM in Iraq is reading as well...Happy to hear you are in touch. We miss you