Monday, December 11, 2006

Corporate Christmas Parties

Corporate Christmas parties. These are what we would refer to in the military as, "mandatory fun." We had MW's last week and as you can see from the photo I did a really good job of playing off my misery (or so I thought until I saw the photo). If that is not a fake face, then what is! MW looks genuine - but that may be because I was the DD, or he just has more experience at these things.
My party is next week, but spouses are not invited. It is just the same people we spend too much time with during the week now overflowing into an evening out. It is at a nice place here in the city, but I really wish I could skip it. Speaking of skipping it, I was invited when I first started in this department a few months ago, to a holiday luncheon for a big client of ours. This was at the request of my boss. So, I am in and my boss has now backed out. I am a little uncomfortable about the idea of this since I don't work with the groups whose client it is etc., but I am certain it would be a good move to be there and network. I have tried the graceful way of backing out, so we will see what happens. (the graceful way being: if you have too tight of a group you can bump me and i will not be offended. you know the "take one for the team attitude.") If I am in, I will have to find my nicest suit and prep for the social to strangers seen. I find the best thing to do in those situation is act very interested in the other person. Just keep asking questions and act like the answer is important to you. (I am so bad)

On a similar, but different note: I wondered today as I walked down the hall back to my desk if I will not like every job I ever have. Something for me to ponder. Maybe the grass is not greener anywhere else, maybe it is slightly brown everywhere.

Have a great day

2 comments:

MSB said...

I think that the key is to not stop looking until you find a job you love... I loved my job. I was suited for it. I didn't make much money, but I wouldn't have wanted to do anything else.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Working office jobs are way overrated. I just turned 25 and am already asking when I can retire! I guess it will be the day I buy that winning lotto ticket.
Merry Christmas!