Tuesday, July 17, 2007

blueberry bushes e-i-e-i-o

I met a farmer over the weekend who grows / sells blueberry bushes. I love blueberries and instantly wanted to take some home, but I did the right thing and went home empty handed- to measure my space of course! I measured part of our property line and ended up with 11 blueberry bushes to plan along one side of our house. The farmer told us that it is fair to estimate that if taken proper care of in seven years one bush will give us two gallons of blueberries! How fantastic!
The man's farm was amazing. Since I am not exactly a country girl I have not had many experiences on a real farm. We drove in while farmer Jack was giving his grand kids rides on his john deere. There was a farm dog and plenty to look around at. I was in heaven! We made a last minute impulse buy and took home some blackberry bushes as well. They are both in bloom right now, so I am very excited to eat the fruit that is left from this year and am hoping for gallons of blueberries next year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds fun. Make sure you soak the berries first for a while before you eat them. (Blackberries mainly). Rinsing them will not be enough. I learned that the hard way!!

MSB said...

Livi will love to visit you in the summer! Both grandparents have raspberries and she eats way more than she picks to bring in the house!