Thursday, March 1, 2007

The infamous RAT

Has anyone ever seen the NYC Rat? If you have seen it you would know what I am talking about right away. There is this giant inflatable rat that travels around the city and parks itself in front of anything it feels is corrupt. A pick-up truck actually drives it around and the rat is about two stories tall. I have seen it in numerous locations since I began my travels through the city. The Rat has been camping out on a street I walk down almost daily for a few weeks now. It has become a fixture in NYC culture symbolizing a protest- but you never know what the protest is since there is no other sign except the rat. On one occasion I did see people protesting with the rat, but all other times it has just been a rat parked on the street. It is pretty creepy looking with its teeth exposed. I was just curious if anyone had ever seen it.

Speaking of rats- did anyone see the photos or articles on the rat infested taco bell and burger king here in NYC? It was not a single rat, but an infestation in the entire restaurant! Yuck. The scary thing is that this was not far from where I get the bus each day. It is a good thing I don't eat fast food. I think you tube actually has a video of the rats running around in the restaurant.

On a different note...
The sun is shining now, but it is the calm before the storm. Tomorrow is supposed to be nasty with rain, wind and thunderstorms. Everyone who is getting this storm today- stay safe and warm, and those of you who get the rain or snow tomorrow- be careful! It seems like a nasty storm that will reach the entire east coast.

Take care everyone!

5 comments:

MSB said...

I don't think we have any end in sight for this winter (global warming, my butt)... we have snow, lots of snow... I think that our next PCS move needs to be to somewhere tropical!

Anonymous said...

I saw that video of the rats in the news. It was pretty nasty. Your rats in NYC are fat rats! Rats in FL are skinny little things. I guess they have to keep on the weight for the cold winter months up there. I noticed even your squirrels are fatter. I freaked out when I was in Boston and saw a huge fat black squirrel. We just do not have those!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen the inflatable rat in NYC. This is just fine with me as I do not like any type of rodent. Ugh!!
We have torrential rains and high winds here this evening. It is 10:30 and still 59 degrees. Several counties(including ours) are under a tornado watch until 2 a.m.
We had friends over for dinner and are now ready to go to bed.
I hope this storm system does not give you too much trouble.
AW

Childress Family said...

The freakishly strong winds kept me up last night and I mentally prepared for the tornado siren to go off. I had it all planned out. I'd go grab Anna and we'd crouch downstairs in the guest bathroom...or maybe the closet under the stairs. I never decided which one would be safer. I also took a mental inventory of all the stuff in the yard that could blow away. I also decided I should purchase a weather radio to keep in my nightstand. Funny how your mind goes crazy in the middle of the night.

Joanne and Deric said...

Hey, got your message. When are you looking at coming to NC? I am in SA till December. Deric gets back in November and joins us in December. Hope your plans work out so we can see you. Keep us updated.