Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Time Flies

I can't believe it is the middle of October already. It feels like yesterday was September. Since I last posted we traveled to Jersey City and Belleville NJ, Hyde Park and West Point NY, and Hilton Head Island, SC. While at the brunch following Bill and Ro's wedding we got a photo of the entire Hyde Park clan plus the additions of wives and children. A few people could not make the brunch, but for the most part this is MW's old crew. I love group photos like this.
When we got back from NY we were only home for two days before we left for Hilton Head Island. We "won" a free stay there, so we took advantage of the opportunity. It was a beautiful place, but nothing like what I expected. The island was very residential and other than going to the beach you could not see it...meaning there were not many restaurants on the water or you could not drive along the coast line, and there was no kind of boardwalk. We did rent bikes while we were there and cruised all over the island. It was a lot of fun. You are able to ride your bikes on the beach there, so we rode for miles and at one point had dolphins literally swimming right next to us. The water dropped off quickly, so the dolphins were swimming maybe 15 feet from shore. It was incredible. They were so beautiful. We also went to "The Salty Dog" which is the islands famous restaurant. If anyone has ever been to Martha's Vineyard or heard of "The Black Dog" it was similar as a trademark and a legendary story.

Now that we are back I had my final? interview for this one position that has been dragging on forever. No final word yet... What a frustrating experience. Meanwhile, it still has not rained in months and the earth is so dry our yard is dead and the dirt is drying and cracking as if it were the desert. The drought is so serious that I heard the other night on the news that in some areas there is only a three month water supply left. CRAZY. We need rain so terrible. I guess tomorrow or Friday we may get a little and we will take whatever we can get!

I have traveled the past three weekend and am looking forward to spending this weekend here doing things around the house. I hate that I can't do yard work- meaning I can't do anything worth while since I can't use water on plants, grass, or flowers...I am not even sure it makes sense to put down fertilizer unless it is raining. Maybe tomorrow I will run out in the rain, if it rains, to fertilize the ground.









4 comments:

MSB said...

I have been missing your posts... you guys have been so busy!

Anonymous said...

Glad you hear you've had a nice couple of weekend sorry about the rain I'll send some from WI. Are you sure you don't want to travel to WI for a moving/painting party :) Enjoy your time at home and keep the updates coming. Rachel

Anonymous said...

p.s. my grammer stinks

JStar said...

You sure have been traveling a lot! What is Mark's job now that he is out of the army?