Friday, September 5, 2008

Running

Maybe if I blog about running it will make my commitment that much more real. I have signed up for a half marathon on December 13th. I know I mentioned it before and then the crazy summer heat set in and I hid from the outdoors. I set September 1st as my benchmark of when I had to get my act together.
So, sure enough September 1st I set out for an easy, but hilly 3 mile run. It was still HOT out, but the breeze made the 88 degrees more bearable (I don't know how so many people do it- running in the extreme heat).
Tuesday I spent some time looking at various training plans and then yesterday I absolutely forced myself out the door. I DID NOT want to run- it was 6:30 when we got home and I was starving- running did not sound too exciting. It must have been the mentality because the entire run was painful. It was hotter than Monday and there were people BBQ'ing along the entire run. I probably ran just shy of three miles, but the run was just not a good one. I had cramping and muscle pain. Either way, I did it and accomplished my goal: Run 2 work nights a week- the next goal: Begin longer weekend runs on Saturday or Sunday.
I read blogs like Fresh Toth and am so inspired and I only hope that I can be that strong. I remind myself of my competing priorities and am going to try and make running more of one. MW is not overly supportive of this initiative because he wants me to get a road bike to ride with him (ever since his knee surgery in January running is not comfortable). I am all for biking, just not spending the money on a road bike. I also really want to accomplish this goal. I do not desire a full marathon, but a 1/2 is something I have been wanting to do for years. December is the perfect time for me to run it since I am not a great warm weather runner.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress as I begin to dive into training. If anyone has any plans or advice I welcome it. I did find some great info online, but there is nothing like advice from a friend.

Next post will be photos from last weekend's wedding in Hartford. Anne was the most beautiful bride!

6 comments:

jill said...

How goes the running? How was the wedding? Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!! XOXO ~J

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Sorry we missed you in CT. We are settled up in Boston now and loving it so far. I hope all is well with you guys and will call soon to catch up. Miss you both!
Rachel Bellard

Joanne and Deric said...

Hey there - how do you do your polls??? I want to do one and cant figure it out????

KToth said...

Yay! A half-marathon is the PERFECT distance. Love it. It's far and it is certainly a huge accomplishment, but thankfully, it's not as punishing on your body as the full marathon. You can walk the next day and there's less risk of injury. And at the end of each half I've done, I've felt like- that's it? I'm done? Already? YES! You gear up to run forever and then just 2 hours later, you're done! Where are you running? I'm looking for a hald to run, too. You are inspiring me to find a race and start training already. Good for you!

KToth said...

I'm not looking for a "hald" to run, I'm looking for a "half." Why or why is there not a spellchecker on the comments...?

KToth said...

Seriously, why OH why...